As purists would have you believe, web designs and web developers are NOT the same. So one is a designer and the other a programmer? Yes, and there is more. But first, a cool infograph to brighten your day.
On a serious note, in addition to the commonality of being afraid of women, I believe that both web developer and web designer should be well-versed with HTML (xHTML, if you like), CSS and Web Usability. A decent knowhow of Search Engine Optimization is always a plus.
What should a web developer know?
- Server-side language / technology: Take your pick from PHP, Perl, Ruby, Python, ASP, Coldfusion, ASP, .NET etc.
- Database: A good working knowledge of SQL is very important. Basic SQL commands work on all common databases like MySQL, MsSQL, Oracle etc.
- Flash development (ActionScript): This is actually optional.
What a web designer should know?
- Photoshop: The industry standard image manipulation program.
- Web accessibility and Web standards
- Color theory
- Adobe Illustrator or an equivalent vector graphics editor
- Flash: for basic animations