An avatar is digital image sometimes in the likeness of the person and used typically on profile pages at social networking web sites or online forums. There are tons of ways in which you can make an avatar of yourself.
In this article we’ll use the free Doppelme.com service to create a cartoony avatar. FYI, the name of this web site comes from the German word Doppelgänger which means a double or a look-alike, generally in a paranormal sense.
Make your avatar for free – a cartoony expression
- Load the doppelme.com web site and click on the Create tab. You’ll see a naked cartoon figure on the right [Slide 1].
- Select your gender and choose colors for the skin and the eyes [Slide 2].
- The next screen shows you 10 links/buttons to the left. These point to the different sections each dealing with one aspect of the avatar. Right now, you are in the first one – expressions. Choose a facial expression and see it applied to the avatar immediately. Eight expressions are shown at one time. To get more, click the small button with the right arrow. Note: Items that are greyed out cannot be used by non-members. So if you want to take full advantage of this web site, I suggest you sign up for an account [Slide 3].
- Follow the facial expression by putting some hair, eyewear and a hat on your avatar. You can jump from one section to another and don’t have to go through them sequentially. Also, you can click on the I’m done button any time during the process [Slides 4, 5 and 6].
- It’s now time to dress up the naked avatar and get rid of that fig leaf. Pick clothes from Tops and Bottoms sections. Remember to add some color to these. Shoes protect the feet of your avatar and they can be colored too! [Slides 7, 8 and 9]
- The extras section has facial hair primarily [Slide 10].
- Unfortunately, all selections in accessories are greyed out if you aren’t logged into your account [Slide 11]; another reason to sign up!
- The last step in making an avatar is to add a background [Slide 12].
- Clicking on the I’m done button will take you to the sign up form [Slide 13].
- By the way, you can still get the avatar if you don’t want to create an account. Simply right-click on the image, select Save image as from the menu to download the avatar graphic to your computer. You’ll get the image in .gif format which is ready for use on various online accounts [Slide 14]. (Read instructions on how to download an image from a web page).
- Now wasn’t it easy to make an avatar using doppelme.com? [Slide 15].
Remember, non-members have access to only a limited number of features. Sign up for an account to have all options available to you.
Finally, I also suggest reading how to create an avatar using the Yahoo service.