The next step after you create a Google account it to add a photo. But why would you like to do that? Here are some reasons:
- Personalise the account with your picture.
- For people who have more than one account, setting up different pictures would help in differentiating the accounts quickly. Say you have two Google accounts, one for personal use and the other for business. You can put your photo in the former and the company logo in the latter.
- Personalise all Google services including Google+ (social networking) and Gmail (email service).
Add your photo to a Google account – instructions with screenshots
Before we jump in, please note that your Google account photo may also be used at other services offered by the company such as Google+, a social networking web site, and Gmail, free email service. Please keep things clean and family friendly!
- Point your browser to the Google accounts sign in page (click on the link). A page similar to one shown in slide 1 will be displayed.
- Enter your Google account email address and click
- Assuming the username was correct, Google will display your name and ask for the account password [Slide 3].
- Type in the password and click the
button [Slide 4].
- If you hadn’t provided an alternate email address or cell phone number at the time of creating the account, you may be prompted for this information. Skip this step for now (though I strongly recommend that you set up a recovery email and a recovery phone as soon as possible) [Slide 5].
- The My Account page will now come up [Slide 6].
- Click the icon at the top-right. In slide 7, it has the letter ‘M’ in it; The letter may be different your you because it’s the first letter of the name used on the Google account.
- Click on the larger ‘letter’ icon [Slide 8].
- This opens a pop-up via which you can upload a photo from your computer or even take one using the web camera on your computer [Slide 9]. FYI, we would be uploading a photo from the computer.
- Move to the folder on your computer that has the photo, select it and drag it over the ‘upload’ area [Slide 10].
- The upload will start immediately. The time taken in this process depends on the size of the photo and the speed of your Internet connection [Slide 11].
- On successful upload, the photo will be displayed with a ‘crop selection‘ [Slide 12]. You can drag this around the picture, change it’s size and even rotate the image.
- Once you are happy with the selection, click
button [Slide 13].
- Your photo will now be cropped and saved [Slide 14].
- Back on the ‘My Account’ page your profile photo would be displayed at the Google account [Slide 15].
Hope you enjoyed these instructions and let me know if there were any problems. Cheers and have a great day!