Installing MySQL on Windows
Once you have successfully downloaded the Windows version, installing it is a breeze... trust me!
(The installation steps below have be tested on Win95 and Win98 using mysql-shareware-3_22_34-win.zip
- Create a temporary directory called mysqltem.
- Unzip the file to this directory.
- After unzipping is over, you'll find a file called "setup.exe".
- Close all programs
- Click on Start - Run and browse to the setup file in mysqltem.
- Click "OK" to proceed
- The setup program loads and guides you through the installation process.
- Choose the "Typical" installation, unless you know what you want!
- MySQL would be installed in c:\mysql (unless you specified some other directory).
- Restart Windows.
- Start an MS-DOS session and migrate to c:\mysql\bin
- Now, type the following at the prompt:
mysqld-shareware --standalone OR (in later versions) mysqldThis starts the MySQL server.
- Type "mysql" (without the quotes) at the DOS prompt.
- The prompt is changed to the "mysql" prompt.
- To test the MySQL server, type "show databases;" at the prompt.
- This should display something like:
+----------------+ | Database | +----------------+ | mysql | | test | +----------------+ 2 rows in set (0.00 sec)
If you see the above... congrats... you have sucessfully installed MySQL on your system.
- Type "quit" at the mysql prompt.
- You are now back to the MS-DOS prompt.
- Since our work is done (for the time being), we should shut the MySQL server. Issue the following command at the prompt.
mysqladmin -u root shutdown
Comments, questions, feedback... whatever!
Recent Blog Posts
- Hotmail Sign In page
- Create a Hotmail account - Instructions
- Create Gmail address
- Download and install Outlook Express
- Get your free Gmail address
- Outlook Express new version
- Create my own email address
- Browers for Windows list
- Get email address
- Color combinations for web sites and pages
- Create Yahoo ID