Flash is a revolutionary technology on the Internet through which rich multimedia content sites can be developed with ease. Flash is a vector-based program, which in simple terms means that the graphical information is stored in the form of mathematical formulae rather than pixel tables.
Vector information takes up lesser space compared to storing individual pixel values which results in Flash files being much smaller than their animated graphical counterparts.
In addition to animations, Flash can be used to make really complex multimedia content with interactivity and sound. Drop down or scrolling menus, animated buttons, custom animated cursors and even games can be made with Flash.
Flash files are made using the Flash software originally developed by Macromedia now owned by Adobe. You can download a demo version from the company site.
Flash is similar to other graphic programs as far as its drawing tools are concerned, which makes the learning curve easier if you have worked on Adobe PhotoShop or Paint Shop Pro.
The series of lessons in this tutorial guide you through the basic concepts of Flash such as:
- Drawing tools.
- Frames, Layers and the Stage.
- Movie properties.
- Basic controls and commands available in the Flash menu.
- Embedding Flash in HTML pages.
- Symbols and why they are required.
- Creating and modifying symbols.
Here are the things that we will cover:
- Flash design tutorial - Drawing tools in Flash
- Flash Tutorial - Using the Line tool
- Online Flash Tutorial - Drawing Geometrical shapes Part 1
- Flash Course - Drawing Geometrical shapes Part 2
- Flash Drawing Course - The Pencil Tool
- Flash Training Course - The Text Tool
- Free Flash Course - Brushes in Flash
- Online Flash Course - The Paint Bucket
- Flash Guide - Gradients
- Online Flash Guide - Transforming Gradient Fills
- Macromedia Flash Guide - The Ink Bottle
- Flash Lesson - The Dropper tool
- Flash Tutorial Lesson - The Hand and Magnifier Tools
- Flash Primer - The Eraser Tool
- Online Flash Primer - Modifying the movie properties
- Flash Lesson - Grouping, ungrouping and breaking apart
- Online Flash Lesson Free - The stacking order
- Flash Training Course - Aligning
- Online Flash Training Course - What are symbols?
- Flash Reference Guide - Creating and using symbols
- Online Flash Reference Guide - Creating Symbol Instances
- Macromedia Flash Tutorial - Modifying Graphic Symbol Instances
- Online Macromedia Flash Tutorial - Symbol and movie editing modes
- Flash Web Site Tutorial - Transform menu
- Free Flash Tutorial - Frames, keyframes and the time line
- Tutorial Flash - A view at View
- Flash 4 Tutorial - Inspectors
- Tutorial Flash - Tracing Bitmaps
- Flash Tutorial Beginner - Onion Skinning
- Flash Tutorial Example - Flash Controls
- Flash Programming Tutorial - Importing
- HTML Flash tutorial - Publishing and Exporting
- Flash HTML Tutorial - Embedding Flash movies in HTML web pages
Note: This tutorial is based on Flash version 4. Evidently, users of later versions will have more features at their disposal.
Comments, questions, feedback... whatever!
Recent Blog Posts
- Hotmail Sign In page
- Create a Hotmail account - Instructions
- Create Gmail address
- Download and install Outlook Express
- Get your free Gmail address
- Outlook Express new version
- Create my own email address
- Browers for Windows list
- Get email address
- Color combinations for web sites and pages
- Create Yahoo ID