AOL login - access email account
Written primarily for the beginner, this article describes how to access an AOL email account via the login page. Assuming you have an active internet connection, all you need is a web browser, the same program you are using to read this page, and the login information of your account.
A brief on email for the newly initiated
Your free email account resides on the AOL servers - computers connected to the internet 24/7/365. The simplest way to access it is through a web browser in which you load the AOL login page, enter the required username and password and click the "Sign In" button.
On successful login, your email account will be presented in the webmail interface through which you can compose (new messages, replies or forwards) and organize messages.
Please note that using an email account via webmail does not download messages to your computer - the email messages continue to reside on AOL servers. If you lose the internet connection you will not be able to access the account.
AOL login - sign in at your email account
The AOL login page is located at webmail.aol.com. Type in the address in a new browser window / tab or click on that link and follow the steps below.
- The "Sign In" section with the login fields is the one on the right [Slide 1].
- Please enter the AOL account username and password in the appropriate [Slides 2 and 3].
- "Remember Me" [Slide 4]: You don't need to enter the username and password each time you want to check email. The "Remember Me" feature stores the login information on your computer which, in future, takes you directly to the account bypassing the AOL login page completely.
However, this convenience has a price. If you don't use the username and password for a long time, you might just forget them. Don't think it can't happen to you because everyday I get tons of email from distressed users who cannot access their accounts. Another word of caution: Leave "Remember Me" unchecked on public computers such as those in internet cafes.
- Click the large "Sign In" button to get to your account [Slide 5].
- Patiently wait for the service to log you in [Slide 6]. On a slow Internet connection, AOL may prompt you with a link to load the simpler interface which will load faster in your browser.
- Your email account will be shown on successful login [Slide 7].
- Click "Inbox" to access the email messages at your AOL account [Slide 8].
- In the event of problems, click the "Help" or if you've lost the AOL password, click the "Forgot password?" link and follow the instructions to reset it [Slide 9].
I cannot stress enough the importance of making a secure password - it's like the access key to your email account. Do not share it with anyone. Also ensure that all the information you had entered when making the AOL email account is correct and updated including the security question!
Please understand that the AOL login page might change from time to time. If you find the screenshots in the slideshow markedly different from what you get, please leave a note and I'll make appropriate changes.
Comments, questions, feedback... whatever!
Page contents: AOL Login: Webmail access to AOL email account through a web browser.
Recent Blog Posts
- Hotmail Sign In page
- Create a Hotmail account - Instructions
- Create Gmail address
- Download and install Outlook Express
- Get your free Gmail address
- Outlook Express new version
- Create my own email address
- Browers for Windows list
- Get email address
- Color combinations for web sites and pages
- Create Yahoo ID